Another year has come and gone and I was looking for the best way to wrap up my year in reading when I came across Jamie blogging at The Perpetual Page Turner and saw her link for a 2013 Book Survey. It’s the perfect way to reflect on the past year and look forward to what’s to come in 2014. Sit back and join me for a review of my reading year in 2013!
1. Best Book You Read In 2013?
Contemporary YA- THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green & LOOKING FOR ALASKA by John Green (Is it safe to say that I adore John Green?)
New Adult- STRIPPED by Brooklyn Skye
Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic- DIVERGENT by Veronica Roth (I haven’t yet read the other two books in the trilogy! Shame on me!)
Historical Fiction- THE BOOK THIEF by Markus Zusak
Paranormal- SOULLESS by Gail Carriger
Humor- THE POTTY MOUTH AT THE TABLE by Laurie Notaro
Memoir- RAPTURE PRACTICE by Aaron Hartzler
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
PLAYING FOR KEEPS by Emma Hart. I had really high hopes after loving the first book in this series (THE LOVE GAME) but ultimately I really disliked this book. I disliked it so much that it prevented me from wanting to go further with the series!
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
ELEGANTLY WASTED by C. Elizabeth Vescio. I had no idea what to expect from a book featuring a female contract killer, but after two pages I was hooked, and this turned out to be one of the best books all year! It’s fast paced and fun and I guarantee you won’t be able to put it down. As a bonus, the second book in the series, UNCONTROLLABLY WASTED just came out, so you can follow the antics of Frankie Fairholm further.
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
STRIPPED by Brooklyn Skye, ELEGANTLY WASTED by C. Elizabeth Vescio, and LOOKING FOR ALASKA by John Green. Three totally different novels, all engrossing!
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
The PARASOL PROTECTORATE series from Gail Carriger. This series is Victorian steampunk and features the irrepressible Alexia Tarabotti. I devoured this series in a week or so and look forward to re-reading it soon.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
I know I’m late to the party here, but I only just discovered John Green this past year and I’m hooked!
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
BALL DON’T LIE by Matt de la Pena. Yes, it’s Young Adult, which I’m more than a little familiar with, but it’s also written from a male perspective about a boy from the wrong side of the tracks, which I’m obviously not as familiar with. I wasn’t surer what to expect with this one and struggled to start it, but I ultimately fell in love with Sticky and highly recommend this book!
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
DIVERGENT by Veronica Roth. This book was unbelievable.
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
SOULLESS by Gail Carriger
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
RAPTURE PRACTICE by Aaron Hartzler
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
Alexia Tarabotti from Gail Carriger’s PARASOL PROTECTORATE series. She’s sassy and smart and I love her!
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
THE BOOK THIEF by Markus Zusak. OMG….this book is pure poetry. I was inspired by Zusak’s amazing prose.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
THE BOOK THIEF by Markus Zusak and THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green. Both of these books not only had me in tears, but made me think about the world around me in a new way.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
THE OUTSIDERS by S.E. Hinton. This book was published in 1967 and is the best-selling Young Adult novel of all time and I can definitely see why.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
“I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what could I tell her about those things that she didn’t already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race-that rarely do I ever simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant.” –Markus Zusak, The Book Thief
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Shortest- NO STRINGS ATTACHED by Nicolette Day (77 pages)
Longest- THE BOOK THIEF by Markus Zusak (552 pages)
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green. I couldn’t go ten pages in this book without wanting to talk about what was going on!
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013
Hazel and Gus in John Green’s THE FAULT IN OUR STARS. So sweet!
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
TIMELESS by Gail Carriger
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
IMPULSE by Ellen Hopkins. I was looking for books written in verse for a school assignment and the fine folks at Changing Hands Bookstore recommended this book to me!
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
Easily Contemporary YA.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Torrin, from Brooklyn Skye’s STRIPPED. This guy is just too good! Also Four from Veronica Roth’s DIVERGENT.
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
STRIPPED by Brooklyn Skye. I’m eagerly awaiting more from her!
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
It’s a tie between DIVERGENT by Veronica Roth and THE BOOK THIEF by Markus Zusak. These books couldn’t be more different but both do such a wonderful job of painting a picture for the reader.
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
ELEGANTLY WASTED by C. Elizabeth Vescio
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
THE BOOK THIEF by Markus Zusak and THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
PLAYING NICE by Rebekah Crane. This is a charming book that touched me from the start and I think it deserves so much more attention!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
INSURGENT and ALLEGIANT by Veronica Roth. I read DIVERGENT for class this year and got too swamped to finish the series, but I’m dying to know how it ends, so I’ll be reading the last two books in the trilogy ASAP!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
ASPEN by Rebekah Crane. I may or may not have read an advanced copy of this novel and I’m dying to see it in print!
3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
BEHIND THE SCENES by Dahlia Adler. I follow Dahlia on Twitter and adore her, so I’m thrilled to see she has a debut coming out in 2014!
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
I’m not currently reading any series that aren’t already completed, so I don’t have an answer for this question!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
I read 87 books this year and was really pleased with the number, but I’m hoping to bump that up to 100 in 2014. Since I’ve finally graduated I won’t be bogged down with school texts, so I’m hoping to do a ton of pleasure reading this year! As for blogging, I really backed off on writing as I finished up my degree, so I’m hoping to get back in the habit of regular posting in 2014.